Wednesday, March 24, 2010

4 Difficult Miles in New Shoes


by Blue Tapp Scheffer

Got my new shoes! I tried to run 4 miles yesterday and just had a terrible run. I was never able to get into a good rhythm and felt like I was gasping for breath. Every once in a while I just have a bad run. This time it was a perfect storm of three things: new shoes, heat, and recovering from illness.

Breaking in new shoes can be very painful. I got the same kind of shoes I had previously so I’m hoping the break in process won’t be too difficult. But you just never know until you get out there and run. I had shin splints that brought me to tears when I broke in my last pair of shoes. I had never experienced the dreaded shin splints before and consulted with several long-time runner friends. Yep, new shoes can do that to you, they said. As long as you’ve been properly fitted, the only solution is to run through the shin splints. There’s no way around it. So I did and they were right. But boy oh boy, did it hurt. I hope I don’t have to go through that again.

I didn’t really run far enough yesterday to see how my new shoes are going to affect my legs. I did feel a bit of tightness in my shins but not too bad. We’ll see how it goes.

The temperature was about 65 F during my run which is 20 degrees hotter than I’ve been running in lately. Heat can really affect a run. It usually FEELS 20 degrees hotter than it is when you run so it felt like 85 F to me. It is much more difficult to regulate body temperature in hotter weather. My body does acclimate eventually but this first run in the hotter temp was tough. I was sweating like crazy and drank my entire bottle of G2 before my four miles were finished.

And I’m still struggling to get over this blasted bronchitis. I’m nearly there… I’d say I’m at around 80% but I’ve had a sore throat for several days. Otherwise I feel great. But this last stubborn remnant of my illness is hanging on. So all three of these factors added up to a less than fun run for me yesterday. I even had to walk several times. And I was only going FOUR miles. Very frustrating. But don’t ever give up after a bad run. It just happens sometimes. I enjoy most of my runs and the bad ones make the good ones seem even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment