Monday, March 8, 2010

Staying on track: Exercising during vacation

Last Wednesday was my husband's 40th birthday, and he and I were lucky to celebrate it at his cousin's gorgeous Lake of the Ozarks condo. With it being early March, the resort was pretty much empty, so we had a wonderful array of recreational amenities all to ourselves.

Of course, we spent plenty of time just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful lake view, but I'm proud to say that the vacation atmosphere didn't hamper my plans to stay active. In fact, I probably got more exercise at the lake than I usually do at home.

On Thursday morning, Keith and I hiked the entire resort, climbing numerous stairs dotting the very steep landscape. My heart was pounding and my thighs definitely weren't fans of the vertical incline, but it felt good to be able to climb to the top, even if my pace was fairly slow.

Later in the day, we got our blood pumping again with a quick game of tennis. Neither of us remembered how to keep score or we probably would have lasted more than 30 minutes. But that was ok, because there was a basketball court calling our name.

We took shots, chased down balls and quickly remembered that both of us are pretty awful at hoops. But again, we were moving and having fun so it felt great! We ended up closing out the day with some laps in the indoor pool, followed by a nice long soak in the hot tub.

I expected to wake up Friday feeling sore, but actually I was ready for another hike! Keith and I headed to Ha Ha Tonka State Park (which is so lovely!), where we trekked up to the castle ruins atop a bluff and then walked along the stream bank hundreds of feet below. All in all, we probably hiked about two miles, and a lot of that was straight uphill.

In other words, I was one sweaty, active broad on my vacation! And it was awesome! Now I'm really looking forward to starting weight training and finding other ways to have fun while still getting fit...

No comments:

Post a Comment