Sunday, March 7, 2010

8 Mile Long Run & St. Patrick’s Day Run

by Blue Tapp Scheffer

Craig and I combined a 4 ½ mile loop with a 3 ½ mile loop around Ferguson to get in an 8 mile long run on Friday afternoon. Long runs are slower paced than the shorter distance runs. The purpose is to get your body used to putting in the miles. I haven’t had time to wash my toe socks since my last run and surprise, surprise, I got blisters. Gotta’ get some more of those toe socks.

I’ve learned that staying hydrated makes the long runs much easier. I carry a
Fastdraw Plus water bottle with a strap that goes around my hand so I don’t have to grip the bottle. It also includes a little pouch where I can carry keys and an extra Power Bar Gel. I carry Gatorade G2 in my water bottle which replenishes electrolytes and helps with recovery and tastes good too!

It was a great run. We’re finally starting to get some warmer temperatures and sunshine in North County; it was a beautiful day to be outside.
Craig always sprints at the end of our runs. I try to keep up with him but it is hopeless. It’s good training for me though because I probably wouldn’t try so hard at the end if I weren’t trying to keep up.

St. Patrick’s Day 5 Mile Run


This Saturday, March 13, Craig and I will be running in the
St. Patrick’s Day Parade 5 Mile Run in downtown St. Louis. This will be my second year to run in this 5 mile run. It is tremendous fun! There will be over 9,000 runners and the route winds around the downtown St. Louis area. It is a festive run, in keeping with the St. Patricks Day theme, with costumes and humor. My favorite costume last year was Gumby running down the road with a Michelob. The best news is that it’s not too late to sign up. 5 miles is a great distance to try if you haven’t ever participated in an organized race before. Registration is $22 and includes a tee shirt and beer after the race. Sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment